Author Topic: Network game stats gathering  (Read 1003 times)

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
Network game stats gathering
« on: 31 October 2013, 00:59:55 »
While being FAR from perfect, we now have a system of gathering in game statistics and storing it on the masterserver. All published games will have their game scores saved to the master server as we develop ways to use that information for interesting new game features.

I also made the web view display finished games that are no older than 8 hours old. This may help to see if people are actively playing during specific periods in the day:

http://master.megaglest.org/

Thanks
« Last Edit: 31 October 2013, 01:38:36 by softcoder »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Network game stats gathering
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2013, 07:11:12 »
Looks like these changes aren't compatible with the auto-update script. Will you be fixing that too? Also, what's with the "abc" in the top left corner? And "Divtag"? Was this tested?
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2013, 09:51:05 »
Which auto update script? The other items were just artifacts of my testing. I added asynchronous retrieval of game stats when you click on the game status link

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2013, 11:15:24 »
Omega is referring to Desktop notifications and automatic updates he had added (and we had planned and tested together) a couple weeks ago (r4604, r4605). Those are now broken, which definitely needs to be fixed. The stats you added will make a very nice addition then.
« Last Edit: 31 October 2013, 11:27:59 by tomreyn »
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #4 on: 31 October 2013, 12:43:05 »
I am just listing some problems that might occure regarding this and which are maybe worth to think about:

- single player games in general
- single player games without internet connection
- pure LAN games without internet connection
- games that start as Network games, but the server gets disconnected from the internet and plays on
- games that start as online games but end with only local clients connected and disconnected Internet
- And what happens in general if the masterserver has a problem / is not reachable when we try to send stats.

Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2013, 15:45:43 »
This uses the same thread as existing publish. It only sends stats if the user is publishing to masterserver so follows all the same rules.

Also, Omega, i fixed the auto update script (which also adds game stats link)
« Last Edit: 31 October 2013, 16:17:07 by softcoder »

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #6 on: 1 November 2013, 13:24:30 »
What I see in the stats now is typically:
Network players=1    Network slots=1    Total slots=1
But it often was a game with many players ) you can see it from the players names ). I think this happens because all players are disconnected before the server sends his stats.
Is there a way to fix this?
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 1 November 2013, 14:38:25 »
SVn now does not update slot info after someone has won the game.

filux

• MegaGlest Team
  • Draco Rider
  • was OpenSuse x64, is Debian testing x64
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2 November 2013, 16:01:54 »
I've written earlier this on IRC but I will repeat here:

• In my opinion "Winner" result should be "yes/no" and "Quit Before Game Ended" too,
  • If I understand it correctly (if not then I don't know what it is :D) "faction index" probably should be called "player" or "player #" or "player index" and number should be between 1-8 as in game
  • In "Resource Multiplier" enough is 2 decimal places.
  • In my opinion could be usefull additional column with clients games' revision number.> If isn't enough space for it then current "Faction index" isn't neccessary in stats.
  • ...and the recent discovery

If Atze isn't a winner too then who is he?, a loser? :D
    In my opinion green background for "the best winner" is ok, but everyone from the winner team should be the winner.
« Last Edit: 2 November 2013, 17:18:15 by filux »

ctz

• Summoner
  • aka cathaur, formerly lyra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2 November 2013, 20:59:18 »
The columns could use better ordering.

I think the game statistics (kills, deaths ... score) should be contiguous, and the player name and platform should be next to the player type.