Author Topic: Scenario: Break the Turtle  (Read 978 times)

ctz

• Summoner
  • aka cathaur, formerly lyra
    • View Profile
Scenario: Break the Turtle
« on: 24 November 2013, 10:30:12 »
Today I spent something like 9 or more hours learning how to Lua and MG scenario.  As a result, I was able to make my first scenario!

I spent much of that time learning more advanced stuff and debugging things and figuring out how MG actually behaves when I try to do insane things ... and I was eventually able to get what I wanted: you are effectively able to choose your faction in this scenario (that's not possible normally, right?  Because otherwise all this hacking would have been for nothing fun).

Other than that, the scenario is just you vs. 17 guard towers, 16 ballistae, and 8 eagle pillars; not too special.  It is not possible to lose since the romans don't do anything; your goal is simply to get through the defense.  But the scenario might be good for testing to see what works against the defense and what doesn't.

Instructions:
At the start, you have to choose your faction.  To do that, kill one worker with the horseman; then the first part of the scenario ends with a call to loadScenario.

In the second part, you will be the faction whose worker you killed in the first part, and your goal is to kill the roman defense in the top left of the map.

Download:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fryyyp

This scenario depends on some peculiar behavior (bugs I guess, but they probably only appear if somebody like me is trying to do strange things like this) by MegaGlest when it does scenario loading that I don't feel like explaining right now because I need to sleep.  I have tested it on GNU/Linux and Windows, and it appears to work on both, but it might break in the future if the behavior is changed.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
Re: Scenario: Break the Turtle
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2013, 20:14:50 »
The kill triggered loadscenario() is indeed interesting. The gameplay of the scenario... not so much. ;) But I take it it's more a technical proof of concept.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

kratos

Re: Scenario: Break the Turtle
« Reply #2 on: 4 February 2014, 17:18:22 »
I think your scenarios is a very good idea...but is also too easy  ;) because if you are patient you can do a very great army and then destroy the foe is more easy.

anything