Author Topic: CE-GUI branch: feature/ce-gui  (Read 18273 times)

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
CE-GUI branch: feature/ce-gui
« on: 9 February 2014, 07:55:37 »
I've started work on looking at replacing our UI with CE-GUI. So far its working out fairly easy, I was able to add this dialog box on the main menu in one day and its fully clickable, resizeable and dragable!

Whats great about CE-GUI is you can create themes via XML files and they even have a GUI editor. It was quite easy to integrate thus far.

Julius

• Summoner
    • View Profile
Re: CE-GUI branch: feature/ce-gui
« Reply #1 on: 9 February 2014, 10:43:10 »
That will be a big improvement to the look of MegaGlest!

I would suggest the use of this theme: http://cegui.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6679

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #2 on: 9 February 2014, 10:52:10 »
Looks like a good theme!

And at least so far, with just the one window without text displayed as in the screen shot above, FPS is not impacted at all for me, neither in menus nor in-game.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 9 February 2014, 17:16:12 »
Yes its a great theme, theres what it looks like:

To see this in git add this to glestuser.ini:

Code: [Select]
CEGUI-Theme-Path=$APPLICATIONPATH/../../data/glest_game/data/cegui/themes/glossyserpent.1.0.7/cegui/
CEGUI-Theme-Name=GlossySerpent
CEGUI-Theme-Name-Cursors=GlossySerpentCursors

To see some of what is possible in ce-gui check out: http://cegui.org.uk/
« Last Edit: 9 February 2014, 17:32:01 by softcoder »

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #4 on: 9 February 2014, 23:59:31 »
Thats nice I bet we will find some interested MG-artists soon who make our own theme too :-) .
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2014, 00:19:08 »
Notice how 'clear' the font rendering is. This will likely solve the problem we had with our previous rendering of fonts showing blurry. You can really see the difference in the screenshot above.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2014, 07:36:27 »
I did notice this immediately. :) Also the text is now brighter, proper white (which I think it was supposed to be before, too).

Hopefully we won't loose the UTF-16/multi-byte/RTL capabilities this way, though?
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2014, 07:54:37 »
According to their website they offer full support. We should lose nothing. Checkout out their videos on the website i mentioned above. There are lots of demos of the widgets and how they work.

The editor to make themes etc (you can build menus, assign fonts, mouse pointer etc..) is called CEED and reference on the cegui website. It is python based.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2014, 10:07:47 »
Just so we don't forget it: CE-GUI is Mit License so we must add the license text  in our docs section too.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2014, 03:58:06 »
Here is a screenshot of the main menu UI redone in CEGUI.

Using CE-GUI takes care of word wrapping in message boxes, adds scrollbars when the text is too large to fit the view area, ensures you cannot click under the messagebox on buttons below, allows you to drag the dialog around out of the way.

Using CEED (the CEGUI designer): (Help guide for how to use Ceed is here: http://static.cegui.org.uk/docs/ceed-snapshot11/user-manual.pdf)

Furthermore, text can use format tags to do all kinds of things: http://cegui.org.uk/wiki/Formatting_Tags_in_CEGUI

« Last Edit: 13 February 2014, 05:42:17 by softcoder »

GunChleoc

• Horseman
    • View Profile
    • Fòram na Gàidhlig
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2014, 15:24:04 »
Using CE-GUI takes care of word wrapping in message boxes, adds scrollbars when the text is too large to fit the view area, ensures you cannot click under the messagebox on buttons below, allows you to drag the dialog around out of the way.
This is excellent news :)

Julius

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2014, 17:48:16 »
That looks excellent! Now on to the in-game HUD which is quite horrible in the old version :p

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2014, 00:55:52 »
Huraaay i can do it too :D.

Now to understand the schema and and other configuration files that makes it possible.

:/.
WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 February 2014, 07:43:45 »
Here's another look at the misc tab of Options Screen using CEGUI: (ignore the stuff behind. its the old UI that has not been removed). **NOTE the language combobox shows each language in its native font!

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 February 2014, 07:45:08 »
Here's another look at the misc tab of Options Screen using CEGUI: (ignore the stuff behind. its the old UI that has not been removed). **NOTE the language combobox shows each language in its native font!

GunChleoc

• Horseman
    • View Profile
    • Fòram na Gàidhlig
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2014, 08:14:03 »
Nice - taghta! :D

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 February 2014, 13:44:57 »
Looking at the screenshots I see the old dialogs in background too ( you mentioned it too ).
I am a bit concerned about how the code will look like in the end if the old stuff stays in place. I think its better if you really remove the old stuff so we only get the new proper things. Even if some things might get accidently lost by this, it gives us a much more proper start using ce-gui. So don't hesistate, remove old stuff in the menus :) .

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 February 2014, 15:06:58 »
I agree - we can always run 3.9.1 or even the develop branch next to it to compare.

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 February 2014, 18:12:33 »
I left the old stuff only until i am finished replacing the code, as i did in the main menu ALL old code goes away when i am done (don't worry about that) :)

titi_son

• Draco Rider
  • titi_son
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 February 2014, 19:43:45 »
Do we have sliders?
Because we could use them for the camera move speed for example.

The new UI looks really great.  :D
My first Tilseset: SPRING :) (included in Megaglest )

Secret Hint: To play online join the IRC #megaglest-lobby on freenode which is the lobby chat ingame. So you can chat with or wait for people in the lobby without running megaglest all the time.

kratos

« Reply #20 on: 18 February 2014, 20:06:01 »
It's a good idea, but maybe you can adjust esteticly the CE-GUI.

Julius

• Summoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 1 July 2014, 17:47:44 »
Got it running for the in-game HUD also by now?

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 1 July 2014, 19:41:29 »
Not yet, had many distractions for MegaGlest but I have in recent weeks been continuing on this work.

kagu

• Administrator
  • Horseman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 August 2014, 11:56:28 »
I have to admit , from the day that I saw that this is coming , I'm longing for it.
Megaglest Chat
Please support:
1. CEGUI 2. In-process games 3. Registered Players
Playtime:
Every Sunday 21:00 - 01:00 CET

jammyjamjamman

• Administrator
  • Horseman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 August 2014, 13:34:16 »
Actually, I was wondering with this new feature would it be possible to store new themes in the mod centre? It would be quite nice if the MG-user had an easy-to-add selection of themes to choose from that are created by the community
« Last Edit: 27 August 2014, 23:33:25 by jammyjamjamman »
"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?'" ~Cave Johnson, Portal 2