Author Topic: Notifications for edited posts  (Read 2122 times)

kratos

Notifications for edited posts
« on: 4 March 2014, 22:36:52 »
I think could be a good idea add edited posts with the unread posts because if someone edits a post, and he add or changes some important informations, everybody know a post is edited. Excuse me for the double post, I had problems with my mobile phone.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
Re: Notifications for edited posts
« Reply #1 on: 5 March 2014, 14:48:07 »
We will most likely not find the time to modify the source code of this forum software, SimpleMachines Forum (SMF), as well as to maintain these patches, to achieve what you're suggesting. However, you can just make another post if you're adding new information which is sufficiently relevant to trigger notifications, that's OK in this case.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

kratos

« Reply #2 on: 7 March 2014, 14:49:18 »
Ok, you (tomr) and other administrators reprimanded me when I added other informations to a topic with another post. That's ok, thanks. :)

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #3 on: 8 March 2014, 18:36:49 »
You are probably referring to this:

Quote from: tomreyn
When you add more information to a forum topic within minutes and there's no reply, yet, please just edit/update your previous forum post (don't make a fresh post). Thanks.

you can just make another post if you're adding new information which is sufficiently relevant to trigger notifications, that's OK in this case.

Those do not rule each other out, but complement one another.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: 9 March 2014, 21:38:43 »
And to elaborate, the reason we prefer that you edit recent posts instead of double posting is that it prevents a large number of posts by a single user merely for the purpose of corrections and extensions. That is precisely the use case that editing your post is meant to solve, so prefer that users do so (and will often merge double posts when users make them).
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

anything