Author Topic: OpenGL error #1285 [0x505] : [out of memory] makes Megaglest crash  (Read 4560 times)

Keith_Beef

Hello, this is my first post here, despite being a MegaGlest player for about a year.

I used to play an older version of MegaGlest, and got this problem after upgrading to a more recent version. The game starts up, I told it to automatically set the video parameters, and started a game of Norse v. Indians (custom game). The game crashes after about a minute of playing, with the error code OpenGL error #1285 [0x505] : [out of memory].

Computer details.
-Computer-
Processor      : 4x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9650  @ 3.00GHz
Memory      : 8177MB (1364MB used)
Operating System      : Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS
Date/Time      : Tue 26 Aug 2014 17:00:50 CEST
-Display-
Resolution      : 1680x1050 pixels
OpenGL Renderer      : Quadro K2000D/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor      : The X.Org Foundation

Code: [Select]
$ glxinfo | grep -i version
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.4
OpenGL version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.20
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

$ glxinfo | grep -i crossbar
    GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,

$ glxinfo | grep -i shader
    GL_ARB_compute_shader, GL_ARB_compute_variable_group_size,
    GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_ARB_fragment_shader,
    GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ARB_geometry_shader4,
    GL_ARB_get_program_binary, GL_ARB_gpu_shader5, GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64,
    GL_ARB_seamless_cubemap_per_texture, GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects,
    GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters, GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding,
    GL_ARB_shader_draw_parameters, GL_ARB_shader_group_vote,
    GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store, GL_ARB_shader_image_size,
    GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_shader_precision,
    GL_ARB_query_buffer_object, GL_ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object,
    GL_ARB_shader_subroutine, GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod,
    GL_ARB_tessellation_shader, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp,
    GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_vertex_shader,
    GL_EXT_Cg_shader, GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test, GL_EXT_direct_state_access,
    GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_EXT_geometry_shader4,
    GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_EXT_gpu_shader4,
    GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects,
    GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shader_image_load_store,
    GL_NV_geometry_shader4, GL_NV_gpu_program4, GL_NV_gpu_program4_1,
    GL_NV_gpu_program_fp64, GL_NV_gpu_shader5, GL_NV_half_float,
    GL_NV_shader_atomic_counters, GL_NV_shader_atomic_float,
    GL_NV_shader_buffer_load, GL_NV_shader_storage_buffer_object,
    GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_NV_texture_shader, GL_NV_texture_shader2,
    GL_NV_texture_shader3, GL_NV_transform_feedback,

Below is what I see  in the terminal window when MegaGlest crashes.

$ megaglest
megaglest v3.6.0.3
Compiled using: GNUC: 40602 [64bit] on: Feb 29 2012 04:54:53
SVN: [Rev: ] - using STREFLOP
[2014-08-26 16:49:08] *ERROR* In [game.cpp::mouseDownLeft Line: 1851] Error [OpenGL error #1285 [0x505] : [out of memory] at file: [/build/buildd/megaglest-3.6.0.3/source/shared_lib/sources/graphics/gl/model_renderer_gl.cpp], line: 293]
megaglest: /build/buildd/megaglest-3.6.0.3/source/shared_lib/sources/graphics/gl/model_renderer_gl.cpp:38: virtual void Shared::Graphics::Gl::ModelRendererGl::begin(bool, bool, bool, Shared::Graphics::MeshCallback*): Assertion `rendering == false' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
Hi Keith, and thanks for having taken the time to register and to compose a thorough report. Based on your description and output, the latest version you tested with seem to be MegaGlest 3.6.0.3? Please be sure to try with MegaGlest 3.9.1 and report back whether this issue is still present there.

More likely, however, this issue stems from your graphics drivers. We've seen similar reports from users of outdated versions of the proprietary Nvidia driver. Please upgrade your video drivers. You may do so by installing the nvidia-331-updates package or, if you're more adventurous, try the newer packages from the xorg-edgers PPA (read the README before you do).

Either way I very much recommend you upgrade MegaGlest, too, it is worth it, and a de facto requirement should you wish to play online.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Keith_Beef

Hi Keith, and thanks for having taken the time to register and to compose a thorough report. Based on your description and output, the latest version you tested with seem to be MegaGlest 3.6.0.3? Please be sure to try with MegaGlest 3.9.1 and report back whether this issue is still present there.

Thanks for the welcome, Tom.

You're right, this is with v. 3.6.0.3 from the repositories for Ubuntu 12.04.

More likely, however, this issue stems from your graphics drivers. We've seen similar reports from users of outdated versions of the proprietary Nvidia driver. Please upgrade your video drivers. You may do so by installing the nvidia-331-updates package or, if you're more adventurous, try the newer packages from the xorg-edgers PPA (read the README before you do).

Either way I very much recommend you upgrade MegaGlest, too, it is worth it, and a de facto requirement should you wish to play online.

My video driver is already the latest version 331. I have tried both the driver marked "Recommended" and also the one marked "331-updates" and the problem is the same.

I'll probably be upgrading the whole of Ubuntu to 14.04 in the next few days, so maybe a more recent version of MegaGlest will be available then.

kagu

• Administrator
  • Horseman
    • View Profile
Hey Keith_Beef,
In 14.04 its the same old version , but you could always install it from www.playdeb.net
Megaglest Chat
Please support:
1. CEGUI 2. In-process games 3. Registered Players
Playtime:
Every Sunday 21:00 - 01:00 CET

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
Either PlayDeb (which we also host a mirror for) or you could use our installer or archives to install a current game version in your home directory.

Regarding the proprietary Nvidia drivers, "331" is the main version number, there is also a sub version, appended after a dot. According to the output you posted, you are running v331.20:
which was released sometime last (?) year. The current version should be this:
Version:    340.32
Release Date:    2014.8.12
Operating System:    Linux 64-bit
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77525/en-us
« Last Edit: 26 August 2014, 19:39:57 by tomreyn »
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Keith_Beef

Either PlayDeb (which we also host a mirror for) or you could use our installer or archives to install a current game version in your home directory.

Regarding the proprietary Nvidia drivers, "331" is the main version number, there is also a sub version, appended after a dot. According to the output you posted, you are running v331.20:
which was released sometime last (?) year. The current version should be this:
Version:    340.32
Release Date:    2014.8.12
Operating System:    Linux 64-bit
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77525/en-us

Thanks for the pointers. I'll see if the playdeb version will install and work.

After that, I'll do the upgrade to 14.04 LTS. I've looked several times in the repos for 12.04, and I can't find a more recent nVidia driver than the 331 that I've got now.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
I've looked several times in the repos for 12.04, and I can't find a more recent nVidia driver than the 331 that I've got now.

That's not exactly wrong. Due to the kernel and Xorg version shipped with 12.04, compatible Nvidia drivers with a higher version number than those starting "331." may not exist.
Still the numbers after the dot do matter (as discussed in my previous post here, which I edited a lot since it had nonsense in it initially). And there are these alternatives while you stick to Ubuntu 12.04:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise-updates/nvidia-331-updates
https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers

Surely upgrading to 14.04 can be a good idea, too. I'm very convinced it would instantly solve this problem for you as long as you use a current MG release (so 3.9.x).

Keith_Beef

I've looked several times in the repos for 12.04, and I can't find a more recent nVidia driver than the 331 that I've got now.

That's not exactly wrong. Due to the kernel and Xorg version shipped with 12.04, compatible Nvidia drivers with a higher version number than those starting "331." may not exist.
Still the numbers after the dot do matter (as discussed in my previous post here, which I edited a lot since it had nonsense in it initially). And there are these alternatives while you stick to Ubuntu 12.04:

Surely upgrading to 14.04 can be a good idea, too. I'm very convinced it would instantly solve this problem for you as long as you use a current MG release (so 3.9.x).

OK, I upgraded to 14.04 overnight. It took a lot longer than it should have done, because every now and again it would ask if I wanted to keep an existing config file or replace the old one with a new one… and it always asked when I had stepped away from the computer to cook supper, eat, etc.

Anyway, it's done now, and I'm still stuck for now with nvidia 331.38, MegaGlest has bumped up but only to 3.7.1-3. I get a different error, now.

I'll have another go at getting a more recent nvidia driver from xorg-edgers and a more recent version of MegeGlest, as suggested.

Keith_Beef

OK, I upgraded to 14.04 overnight. It took a lot longer than it should have done, because every now and again it would ask if I wanted to keep an existing config file or replace the old one with a new one… and it always asked when I had stepped away from the computer to cook supper, eat, etc.

Anyway, it's done now, and I'm still stuck for now with nvidia 331.38, MegaGlest has bumped up but only to 3.7.1-3. I get a different error, now.

I'll have another go at getting a more recent nvidia driver from xorg-edgers and a more recent version of MegeGlest, as suggested.

Well, I can't work out how I'm supposed to get a more recent nvidia driver… I've got the xorg crackers ppa added to Synaptic, but I still don't get anything more recent than 331.38. I made sure I had Open CL libraries, following a thread

But more curiously, I cannot get a more recent MegaGlest from PlayDeb.

This page claims to give me Version: 3.9.1-1~getdeb3 but when I install it I still get 3.7.1.

Now, when I run, I get a whole host of errors or warnings about fonts, but the game eventually bombs out.

$ megaglest
megaglest v3.7.1
Compiled using: GNUC: 40802 [64bit] on: Apr  1 2014 17:45:09 platform: Linux-X64 endianness: little
SVN: [Rev: ] - using STREFLOP [SSE] - [no-denormals]
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-ttf-sil-andika.conf", line 14: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-ttf-sil-andika.conf", line 32: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-ttf-sil-andika.conf", line 32: Having multiple <family> in <alias> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-ttf-sil-andika.conf", line 14: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
[2014-08-28 20:09:24] *ERROR* In [game.cpp::mouseDownLeft Line: 2969] Error [OpenGL error #1285 [0x505] : [out of memory] at file: [/build/buildd/megaglest-3.7.1/source/shared_lib/sources/graphics/gl/model_renderer_gl.cpp], line: 298
Stack Trace:
megaglest:Shared::Platform::megaglest_runtime_error::megaglest_runtime_error(std::string const&, bool)address [0x9bc628] line: 0
megaglest:Shared::Graphics::Gl::_assertGl(char const*, int, unsigned int*)address [0x5fd81d] line: 0
megaglest:Shared::Graphics::Gl::ModelRendererGl::renderMesh(Shared::Graphics::Mesh*, int)address [0x9f7528] line: 0
megaglest:Shared::Graphics::Gl::ModelRendererGl::render(Shared::Graphics::Model*, int)address [0x9f7854] line: 0
megaglest:Glest::Game::Renderer::renderUnitsFast(bool, bool)address [0x5efe8d] line: 0
megaglest:Glest::Game::Renderer::selectUsingSelectionBuffer(std::vector<Glest::Game::Unit*, std::allocator<Glest::Game::Unit*> >&, Glest::Game::Object const*&, bool, Shared::Graphics::Vec2<int> const&, Shared::Graphics::Vec2<int> const&)address [0x5f107e] line: 0
megaglest:Glest::Game::Renderer::computeSelected(std::vector<Glest::Game::Unit*, std::allocator<Glest::Game::Unit*> >&, Glest::Game::Object const*&, bool, Shared::Graphics::Vec2<int> const&, Shared::Graphics::Vec2<int> const&)address [0x5f4ed3] line: 0
megaglest:Glest::Game::Gui::computeSelected(bool, bool)address [0x60bd3d] line: 0
megaglest:Glest::Game::Gui::mouseDownLeftGraphics(int, int, bool)address [0x60bf20] line: 0
megaglest:Glest::Game::Game::mouseDownLeft(int, int)address [0x55011e] line: 0
megaglest:Glest::Game::MainWindow::eventMouseDown(int, int, Shared::Platform::MouseButton)address [0x64dd8e] line: 0
megaglest:Shared::Platform::Window::handleMouseDown(SDL_Event)address [0x9c443d] line: 0
megaglest:Shared::Platform::Window::handleEvent()address [0x9c8e3c] line: 0
megaglest:Glest::Game::glestMain(int, char**)address [0x65c21a] line: 0
megaglest:Glest::Game::glestMainWrapper(int, char**)address [0x65f578] line: 0
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6:__libc_start_main()address [0x7f2f301ecec5] line: 0
megaglest() [0x4c33f8]address [0x4c33f8]
]
megaglest: /build/buildd/megaglest-3.7.1/source/shared_lib/sources/graphics/gl/model_renderer_gl.cpp:39: virtual void Shared::Graphics::Gl::ModelRendererGl::begin(bool, bool, bool, Shared::Graphics::MeshCallback*): Assertion `rendering == false' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
Sounds like you haven't properly upgraded to 14.04 or have incorrect APT sources, at least for the PlayDeb PPA.
The error you run into while running MegaGlest 3.7.1 is still the same as before (the Nvidia driver reporting that it ran out of memory - which is, for what I can tell, not a bug in MegaGlest, which is why I moved this thread to the main forum where we try to help people run the game properly) and there is just this one error (anything else is of 'info' or 'warning' level).

To verify your Ubuntu upgrade succeeded properly and you are using the proper "deb" line for the PlayDeb PPA, post the output of the following commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-cache policy
yes n | sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install apt-show-versions
sudo apt-show-versions | grep -v uptodate

Again, I'm just offering to help here - this is most likely not a MegaGlest issue. Also keep in mind that you can also install MegaGlest using the installers we provide:
http://megaglest.org/download.html

Keith_Beef

Re: OpenGL error #1285 [0x505] : [out of memory] makes Megaglest crash
« Reply #10 on: 28 August 2014, 20:34:18 »
Sounds like you haven't properly upgraded to 14.04 or have incorrect APT sources, at least for the PlayDeb PPA.
The error you run into while running MegaGlest 3.7.1 is still the same as before (the Nvidia driver reporting that it ran out of memory - which is, for what I can tell, not a bug in MegaGlest, which is why I moved this thread to the main forum where we try to help people run the game properly) and there is just this one error (anything else is of 'info' or 'warning' level).

To verify your Ubuntu upgrade succeeded properly and you are using the proper "deb" line for the PlayDeb PPA, post the output of the following commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-cache policy
yes n | sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install apt-show-versions
sudo apt-show-versions | grep -v uptodate

Again, I'm just offering to help here - this is most likely not a MegaGlest issue. Also keep in mind that you can also install MegaGlest using the installers we provide:
http://megaglest.org/download.html

Hmm… you may well be right!

$ sudo apt-cache policy
Package files:
 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     release a=now
 500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu/ precise/main i386 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=LP-PPA-xorg-edgers,a=precise,n=precise,l=xorg-edgers fresh X crack,c=main
     origin ppa.launchpad.net
 500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu/ precise/main amd64 Packages
     release v=12.04,o=LP-PPA-xorg-edgers,a=precise,n=precise,l=xorg-edgers fresh X crack,c=main
     origin ppa.launchpad.net

Lots of "precise" cropping up, and no "trusty"…

So I went back into Synaptic and changed an apt line for the getdeb ppa to change precise to trusty, and now  I see something a bit better.
$ sudo apt-cache policy | grep -i getdeb
 500 http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/ trusty-getdeb/games i386 Packages
     release v=14.04,o=GetDeb,a=trusty-getdeb,n=trusty-getdeb,l=GetDeb,c=games
     origin archive.getdeb.net
 500 http://archive.getdeb.net/ubuntu/ trusty-getdeb/games amd64 Packages
     release v=14.04,o=GetDeb,a=trusty-getdeb,n=trusty-getdeb,l=GetDeb,c=games
     origin archive.getdeb.net

Stupid of me, perhaps… I hadn't thought that I would need to go back and change the sources I had added manually to update them from precise to trusty.

This worked, I now have megaglest v3.9.1 and no crashing. Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2014, 21:21:25 by Keith_Beef »

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 August 2014, 16:12:49 »
Glad we could work it out. :)

jammyjamjamman

• Administrator
  • Horseman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 August 2014, 17:47:44 »
hi Keith.

I just wanted to note that I used to have out-of-memory problems with the nvidia-331.XX drivers in particular in megaglest. I would suggest possibly doing any of the following:

• downgrading to nvidia-304 (not risky, but this driver doesn't provide good performance afaik)
  • upgrade to the latest nvidia drivers found in the xorg-edgers repo (considered risky, but this is what I did and I'm having no problems whatsoever with the latest nvidia-343 beta driver)
  • try the nouveau drivers (This is very risky, I've had all sort of bugs with these drivers spanning from memory leaks to overheating)

Hope this helps! (although it looks like you fixed the problem anyway)
« Last Edit: 5 September 2014, 01:26:04 by jammyjamjamman »
"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?'" ~Cave Johnson, Portal 2