Author Topic: MegaGlest and NetBSD  (Read 1707 times)

Adrien2002

• Daemon
  • NetBSD user
    • View Profile
MegaGlest and NetBSD
« on: 8 August 2015, 04:30:27 »
Hello users,
I am a big fan of MegaGlest and an user of NetBSD so I decided to build it to play on my fav operating system.

I download the source. I extract it, I enter in the folder, I create a folder named build, I enter in the build folder, I do cmake ..

Once it is good, I do make but then it fails at ~ 91 %

CMakeFiles/megaglest.dir/world/unit_updater.cpp.o: In function `Glest::Game::UnitUpdater::SwapActiveCommand(Glest::Game::Unit*, Glest::Game::Unit*)':
/home/adrien2002/Téléchargements/megaglest-3.11.1/source/glest_game/world/unit_updater.cpp:1822: undefined reference to `Shared::Util::SystemFlags::handleDebug(Shared::Util::SystemFlags::DebugType, char const*, ...)'
CMakeFiles/megaglest.dir/world/unit_updater.cpp.o: In function `Glest::Game::UnitUpdater::SwapActiveCommandState(Glest::Game::Unit*, Glest::Game::CommandStateType, Glest::Game::CommandType const*, int, int)':
/home/adrien2002/Téléchargements/megaglest-3.11.1/source/glest_game/world/unit_updater.cpp:1860: undefined reference to `Shared::Util::SystemFlags::handleDebug(Shared::Util::SystemFlags::DebugType, char const*, ...)'
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /home/adrien2002/Téléchargements/megaglest-3.11.1/build
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /home/adrien2002/Téléchargements/megaglest-3.11.1/build
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /home/adrien2002/Téléchargements/megaglest-3.11.1/build

I don't know what to do now  :(
BSD is what you get when a bunch of Unix hackers sit down to try to port a Unix system to the PC. Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC hackers sit down and try to write a Unix system for the PC.

filux

• MegaGlest Team
  • Draco Rider
  • was OpenSuse x64, is Debian testing x64
    • View Profile
Re: MegaGlest and NetBSD
« Reply #1 on: 8 August 2015, 09:35:45 »
Well this output isn't very clear what is going on and because we basically are not a BSD users so it isn't so easy ...
Which compiler are you using?

General hints:
- You should use GCC as a compiler (for multiplayer compatibility),
- You should install required libraries before compilation.

Some informations about compilation you can find there:
- https://docs.megaglest.org/MG/FreeBSD_Compiling (may be outdated especially list of dependencies),
- https://docs.megaglest.org/MG/Mac_Compiling
- https://docs.megaglest.org/MG/Linux_Compiling

Adrien2002

• Daemon
  • NetBSD user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 8 August 2015, 13:38:15 »
That's very cool to find help here :)

It seems... I forgot about the deps :-[
I'll try to satisfy dependencies and build it again.

I am not an expert in building but I'll be in charge of NetBSD pkgsrc package for MegaGlest. Guys will help me to make it possible so then NetBSD users will be able to play this game easily.
BSD is what you get when a bunch of Unix hackers sit down to try to port a Unix system to the PC. Linux is what you get when a bunch of PC hackers sit down and try to write a Unix system for the PC.

Adrien2002

• Daemon
  • NetBSD user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 9 August 2015, 13:46:49 »
Mh... There is one or two dependencies that I can not build actually : they are broken with NetBSD

But then I have a question, the missing libraries can make the make stop ? I have everything necessary to BUILD the game but maybe not yet to PLAY it

Would you want to see my error ? I can paste it all on pastebin, maybe you will understand something

filux

• MegaGlest Team
  • Draco Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 9 August 2015, 14:42:07 »
...Would you want to see my error ? I can paste it all on pastebin, maybe you will understand something
Sure, it is always a good idea to show output  :thumbup:

Mh... There is one or two dependencies that I can not build actually : they are broken with NetBSD

But then I have a question, the missing libraries can make the make stop ?...
It depends which one.
For example VLC is very optional and if you have more serious problems with it (e.g. MacOS doesn't like VLC) you can compile without it. :)

Adrien2002

• Daemon
  • NetBSD user
    • View Profile

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2015, 16:35:52 »
Please always provide the commands you ran, too. You are welcome to redact any personal data.

Also, while it sure is different to NetBSD, have you had a look at how the FreeBSD builds work? This might save you some time.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Adrien2002

• Daemon
  • NetBSD user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2015, 17:00:15 »
I ever said what I do, in my first message !

I create a folder named build, I enter in it then I do cmake ..
Once it is good, I simply do make then I get the error message I posted through pastebin

I didn't check yet with FreeBSD because the two systems are really different but I'll have a look at it
« Last Edit: 10 August 2015, 17:06:26 by Adrien2002 »

filux

• MegaGlest Team
  • Draco Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2015, 18:07:34 »
Well, first paste doesn't give me any hints.
The second paste says that there is some really serious problem in the basics, something in gcc/libc/or with messed up cache from cmake stage.

Try remove "build" directory, then create it again and then please show output from both stages, example:

Code: [Select]
rm -r build; mkdir build; cd build
cmake ..
<some output> ...
<some output>
make
<some output> ...
<some output>

Adrien2002

• Daemon
  • NetBSD user
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2015, 18:33:02 »
So I deleted the build directory, created a new one then entered in it again :

cmake ..
http://pastebin.com/hViqChZk

make
http://pastebin.com/wa8hnXL3

EDIT : Don't look at directly to the "TAClACchargement" instead of "Téléchargements", it is a copy problem from my Arch Linux, not on the original file :)
« Last Edit: 10 August 2015, 18:42:48 by Adrien2002 »

filux

• MegaGlest Team
  • Draco Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2015, 18:57:10 »
So I don't see new hints, this is most likely some basic problem with gcc  :-X.

Looks like I need to think about installing NetBSD in the VM and look for this closer.
How easy is NetBSD with installation? I hope it isn't like arch linux :D

... but this also will take some time to find a unknown problem on unknown OS ;).

Adrien2002

• Daemon
  • NetBSD user
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2015, 19:08:43 »
I am using the current version of NeBSD, it is totally assisted during installation :)

Here is the -current 7.99.20 amd64 : ftp://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/201508101330Z/images/NetBSD-7.99.20-amd64.iso

It is the version I am using.

During the installation, you will be able to select for pkgsrc (not pkgin), when you are in the menu to install pkgsrc, just change the pkgsrc/stable into pkgsrc/current to get the very last pkgsrc version.
But em... once in the system, you have to build everything to be able to use it. Everything is in /usr/pkgsrc/

For example, to get xorg, you must do "cd /usr/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/modular-xorg/" then "make install clean" and let it works.

Em... If you have ANY question about how to do something, please ask me, I'll do my best to help you to have a fully usable operating system just like I have now :)

anything