Author Topic: Glest army  (Read 2156 times)

AlexTheGreat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
Glest army
« on: 28 October 2015, 05:50:00 »
Hey guys!
now this isn't really a mod, its more just something i was having fun with. I took each unit and made it look like a group, kinda like "battle for middle earth"

Carl the Great

• Technician
  • This is the personal text section of my profile.
    • View Profile
Re: Glest army
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2015, 19:10:41 »
That's a start.

Why not add multiple projectiles to archers?

If you want, my Medieval modification (look in the Mods forum) has:
> Spearman, you can make an army of Spearmen and it is effective against a group of Horsemen and archers. Models for charging and defending are also available.
> Banner Guard, make all your armies have a Standard Bearer for a change.
> Paladin, the Paladin unit is armed with a war axe, slow but effective (you can rename it to Knight if you like).
> Champion, armed with a Knight's Lance, most powerful unit yet.

If you are experienced in the coding sector, you can try to reedit the Champion so it can no longer have the Tribune animation(s). Also, you can attempt at multiple projectiles for archers, as I said above.

The problem with armies is that the death animation is simultaneous to all troops within that unit.
Thanks!  ;)

AlexTheGreat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2015, 03:29:52 »
if you look closer, i do have multiple arrows flying, just only one particle line which i will look into
as for your mod, i will totally look at it!! i was kinda needing more types of units.

as for the group animations,  dying, walking, and attacking are all the exact same, it doesn't look too weird but it would need to change if i decide to really make this a mod, i don't really know how i would go about doing this though

Carl the Great

• Technician
  • This is the personal text section of my profile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2015, 09:30:41 »
I see, the "multiple arrows" animation looks like the arrows were fired also simultaneously as I noticed on the screenshots.

There is a way to determine the number of units of an army, the code allows multiple G3Ds in one skill depending on how much health left, just like when a structure is being built or attacked by an enemy over time.
Thanks!  ;)

jammyjamjamman

• Administrator
  • Horseman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2015, 18:50:02 »
AlextheGreat, looks pretty cool!  :thumbup:

I see, the "multiple arrows" animation looks like the arrows were fired also simultaneously as I noticed on the screenshots.

Just to clarify what I think Carl the Great was saying, you can give models multiple projectiles. See Multiple Projectiles for more info. This lets your unit (I assume your grouped soldiers are units) fire more than 1 projectile. The position the time which each projectile is fired can be offset, which will make it look like each unit is firing an arrow.

There is a way to determine the number of units of an army, the code allows multiple G3Ds in one skill depending on how much health left, just like when a structure is being built or attacked by an enemy over time.

What I think Carl the Great is referring to here is megaglest's extra animation features. If you follow the link I have just given, you can see that animations can have the parameters minHp and maxHp. This is the health range for which a given g3d model is displayed. The idea is, you can link multiple g3ds to the same unit, and you can set boundary conditions for when these g3d models are displayed. e.g. one of your "units" might be 10 archers. You could make 10 g3d models, one of them consisting of 10 archers, then another consisting of 9, and another with 8... etc. Then, you can configure the unit in the xml to display the g3d with 10 archers for 900 < x <= 1000hp, 9 archers for 800 < x <= 900hp, 8 for 700 < x <= 800hp etc (x is the hp/ health of the unit).

I you want to see a good example of this g3d-hpbound-model stuff, download the ultrapack mod in the mod centre, and look at the file: ultrapack/factions/crusaders/units/defense_tower/defense_tower.xml.
"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?'" ~Cave Johnson, Portal 2

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #5 on: 2 November 2015, 10:58:37 »
Download links are missing ;)
 ( and don't forget the license which should be CC-by-SA because original glest models are used )

Suggestion: Please put i on github so that people can help and test and in case you loose interest one day, your work doesn't get lost !
( upload models in blend format there too like I did here: https://github.com/titiger/barillion )
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

AlexTheGreat

• Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 4 November 2015, 15:18:13 »
Thanks for the replies! i have taken everything y'all have said into consideration
Ill start working more on it when i get the time,  which should be around next week!

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2015, 08:59:00 »
Are there any updates ?
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios