Author Topic: running Windows installer as underprivileged user  (Read 1342 times)

andy_5995

• Ornithopter
  • Debian Linux user
    • View Profile
    • Andy Alt's home page
running Windows installer as underprivileged user
« on: 31 January 2016, 18:14:47 »
I use Windows normally by logging into a non-admin account.

When I ran the Windows installer, I was automatically prompted for my root password ('root' being my Windows admin user name).

On Linux, when I run the installer without root privileges (which I always do), I'm prompted for an installation target, and can simply install to my home directory as an underprivileged user.

On Windows, I think a user should have to right-click on the downloaded installation package, and click "run as admin" to install as admin.

If they don't install with admin privs, then they should receive a prompt asking them for a target directory.

Just my opinion, but thought it was worth a discussion.

filux

• MegaGlest Team
  • Draco Rider
  • was OpenSuse x64, is Debian testing x64
    • View Profile
Re: running Windows installer as underprivileged user
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2016, 19:37:49 »
Hehe basically most of your message is saying about "what windows OS should do" :O so message fits perfectly somewhere on Microsoft's forum :P but I agree that you feel good where are real issues ;)

... but returning to the "problem", during installation process installer has to fight with windows' "fake security", with its bugs and with its "tweaks" and sadly 90% "of the fight" is related with registry so there is no real chance to install as a regular user

jammyjamjamman

• Administrator
  • Horseman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2016, 00:09:05 »
Just to add to filux's comment, windows DOES NOT let you run any installer without administrator privileges, as part of the so-called *security* of windows.
It's possible of course to bypass this problem by downloading the compressed executable here  : megaglest-64bit-binary
or: megaglest-32bit-binary
and the megaglest-data here: megaglest-data
"All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?'" ~Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Alchemek

• Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2016, 15:55:20 »
Perhaps MegaGlest could be packaged in a similar way that software from http://portableapps.com/ are packaged? I can install these programs on computers without administrator rights.

filux

• MegaGlest Team
  • Draco Rider
  • was OpenSuse x64, is Debian testing x64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2016, 17:03:55 »
Heh Jammy just gave links to true portable resources of the game. Unpack them once on the (fast) flash drive and that's all.

... "portableapps"
How is it portable as you have installer?  :O
How is it portable when it is somewhere in the cloud? Somehow requirement of having connection or long wire doesn't fit to portable. ;D
... and this point about "A portable app doesn't require additional software on the PC" so apps don't require operating system or graphic drivers?  :P

Imo their methods may be called as "semi-portable-sandbox" or something, for sure not as "portable".

andy_5995

• Ornithopter
  • Debian Linux user
    • View Profile
    • Andy Alt's home page
« Reply #5 on: 4 June 2016, 14:32:41 »
Heh Jammy just gave links to true portable resources of the game. Unpack them once on the (fast) flash drive and that's all.

That was posted by Alchemek, not Jammy.

Weird. Alchemek is shown as having '0' posts.