Author Topic: Megaglest current situation  (Read 1402 times)

Pizza90

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
Megaglest current situation
« on: 1 May 2016, 11:07:40 »
Hi all, perhaps some of you remembers me :) I use to be active in the community and the forum, Things changed when i started university and the lack of time drove me away from playing videogames (megagelst included). Recently i started playing mg again (mainly quick single player games) and since i have been away for a while (1, 2 years?) I wanted to get some updates about the current status of Megaglest.

I saw that now the projec tis hosted on github and i saw a match listed on the main server labeled where people were testing the dev version, so megagelst is not dead, which is good :D

However to my surprise i noticed that the forum seems to have died out :/ i remember many people working on mods, maps, reporting bugs and asking feature requests. Now apart from some feature requests (i just wrote one :D) the forum seems to be sleeping..which is a pity because open source projects need a living community, especially video games!

Has the development slowed down much? Are titi and softcoder still working on megaglest?
Whats currently being worked on?? What are the future plans for the game?any roadmap?

Sorry for my many questions abut after almost 2 years i have to get updates :D :D

Megaglest is a game i liked a lot and i still enjoy playing, i hope the community will not die!

Greetings to all the guys :)
I translated Megaglest in italian and i keep the translation updated.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
Re: Megaglest current situation
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2016, 13:15:04 »
Well, all in all MegagGlest is a bit on hold.
Community ( Forum) is not as active as it was before and there is no real development at the moment.
I myself am simply not sitting at the computer so much lately ( personal reasons ) and thats why MG gets less time too. If I am online I typically play MG :) .
For me personal the continous lack of active multiplayer players is the most demotivating thing.
But this does not mean MG is dead!
The team is still there, there are just ot many things going on at the moment.

Future:
For me the current roadmap looks like this:
High prio:  fix the last OOS bug https://github.com/MegaGlest/megaglest-source/issues/102
Medium prio: Fix problems in windows related to SDL2 switch
=> try to get MG on steam

And for the far future:
- Player accounts
- Lighter headless servers

Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

filux

• MegaGlest Team
  • Draco Rider
  • was OpenSuse x64, is Debian testing x64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2016, 17:55:40 »
...For me personal the continous lack of active multiplayer players is the most demotivating thing...
Well, recently we have visible increasing number of new players so situation isn't bad  :) but I understand titi's point of view when he usually joins lobby at 11-12pm+ and there are no European vampires around ready to play ;).

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2016, 05:21:19 »
I'm afraid I haven't played MG for a very long time. Largely lost the desire to. I don't think RTSes are quite my ideal genre. To a large degree, my interest in the community has always been a developing/modding one. These days I get more than my coding fill from work and can't even bring myself to do personal projects as much as I'd like. While I tried my hand at developing for MG in the past, it's just too messy of a codebase for me to work up the bother. I'm a neatfreak where code quality is concerned. As for modding, it's just too time consuming and my interests are largely in programming and not in creation of models or anything.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

andy_5995

• Ornithopter
  • Debian Linux user
    • View Profile
    • Andy Alt's home page
« Reply #4 on: 4 June 2016, 14:34:59 »
Pizza90, you may like to know that git activity and forum interactions have increased in the last 2 weeks.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: 5 June 2016, 03:53:36 »
Modding is the best part of the Glest experience to me definitely. Though I also enjoy long single-player matches. I might try multiplayer soon, but I'm honestly just not a big fan of vanilla megapack gameplay. Having just graduated high school, I'll be on the boards more often now, and I might get back into modding.  :)
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com