Author Topic: MegaGlest UI improvements  (Read 839 times)

eleri

MegaGlest UI improvements
« on: 2 July 2016, 00:08:15 »
Hi, I've been thinking about ways of improving MegaGlest User Interface in the last few days

The only thing is about I'm not really familiarised with programming, so, before starting with lots of mock-ups I'd like to present ideas part by part, so feedback from players and developers can help in this project to achieve the best possible result

I hope this helps us all

Up to now, the first part is the first screen of the game:
Code: [Select]
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4HBJ1ruwWuaQnN3U2l2VjFQVTgI'll try to keep the folder updated with new content constantly
« Last Edit: 6 July 2016, 19:25:51 by filux »

Golkombie

• Battlemage
    • View Profile
Re: MegaGlest UI improvements
« Reply #1 on: 2 July 2016, 02:50:51 »
The main screen looks amazing. That gives me the impression that you can make any megaglest U.I. look good.  8)
I don't have megaglest on my computer, but I'll give feedback as soon as I install it.
To be honest, I'm just honest..

eleri

« Reply #2 on: 2 July 2016, 05:08:19 »
Thanks!

I've just uploaded new mock-ups of the game menu with some explanations and wireframes to the folder

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #3 on: 3 July 2016, 16:15:41 »
These ideas are not possible with current rendering possibilities. And btw what you see in background of the menu is a rendered 3d-Scene, not a picture.

MegaGlest uses plain OpenGL for GUI rendering too so there are no libs or anything yet which can do fancy effects.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

eleri

« Reply #4 on: 3 July 2016, 18:38:00 »
Ok, I already know it's a 3D animation as background, other wise such animation in video would have been hard to achieve on timing and interaction.

I've just been exploring source pages, looks like all possibilities go around positioning pictures on display... not much material to play then. Anyway, should have checked that before making any proposals

It would be nice if programmers could settle guidelines about current development possibilities, and developers in general settle some sort of wish-list for Ui improvement, so workflow goes easier for all of us.

Update:
Let's turn this proposal a little bit more professional (Remember, this is just an offer, if you like I'll leave it just like it is now)

As a designer, any work requires some info from the client before starting, other wise things go like it's just happened. Results can't be applied.

I'd like to ask you, as players and developers...
-The current visual style of the GUI is fine or you'd like to try new visual styles (themes)?
-How far would you like to go in this proposal? (Just update the GUI or try a completely new layout and navigation system)
-As developers, current limitations are... (Transparency, transitions, resolution for pictures, current layout order, etc)
-Once work starts, which screen is the most important for you (I know, it may be "Game menu", but what about "Custom game" or "Settings - Video")?

The last question is because it will be the start point of the project. That screen will show all updates and settle the guide for the entire project to make it easier and faster.

Remember, this is not just about fancy effects and wonderful typefaces, this is about being more user friendly, easier too use (for new users most of all), friendly with new technologies (Higher resolution displays, and touch devices), more flexible for you as developers, etc.

I know you won't write all code again from the ground up, that's not the intention, the intention is to achieve better results with the current product, so it's improved.

And if course, this remains a community project in which I'm just somebody trying to help, if you'd like to help me you're welcome, once it starts I'll enable the folder so you can access editable files (mostly inkscape and GIMP) and update your modifications
« Last Edit: 3 July 2016, 23:45:16 by eleri »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: 4 July 2016, 01:46:15 »
If we had more coders(and they had more time than Titi and Softcoder have), this might be able to really get somewhere.

I think some more helpful changes that could be done now(without code), would be button texture updates, and a partial/full redo of the background model. That background model is very old, and modern computers can handle many more polygons and higher resolution textures.

In terms of the coding side, I think making it so the menus don't lag when you go into sub-menus is more important that dramatically changing the GUI. If we do change the GUI however, I'd like to see a 3D menu system that sticks to the environment instead of just being rendered on top.

Also, kind of a bug. MG's UI is very stretched on my 21:9 monitor, but it's still totally usable.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

filux

• MegaGlest Team
  • Draco Rider
  • was OpenSuse x64, is Debian testing x64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 6 July 2016, 19:46:27 »
Fyi, eleri decided today to remove his own account and by the way he disabled public access to graphics from first post.

... as it is only 4-th day :look: after his registration so I thought that worth is to comment this, before any questions will appear.