Author Topic: Open-Source Discussion  (Read 2719 times)

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
Open-Source Discussion
« on: 4 July 2016, 19:17:03 »
I try to make MegaGlest usable on the most widely used operating systems. Unfortunately, those are currently proprietary ones. Since I hold MegaGlest dear, I do so despite my antipathy to those OS.

From my perspective, that's a different choice to running some closed-source software on an open source OS, since it means loosing control. I could run it on Windows, but I don't normally use that OS, and this software is meant to be used while your computer is powered on but not being used (which is never the case for Windows here).
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

andy_5995

• Ornithopter
  • Debian Linux user
    • View Profile
    • Andy Alt's home page
Re: Open-Source Discussion
« Reply #1 on: 4 July 2016, 19:30:18 »
Tom, thank you for elaborating. :)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 5 July 2016, 01:35:41 »
http://folding.stanford.edu/home/faq/faq-opensource
We have not outsourced the client for several reasons, relating to client reliability and other issues. However, we’ve come up with a compromise — we have been developing a plug in architecture to allow people to write open source code that we can plug into our client.
Oh thanks, Stanford. ::)  They're so nice to allow people to help them without them giving anything in return.

I'm a bit mystified why they think having their code open to scrutiny would make their client less reliable, but if they don't want my help, then that's humanity's loss.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #3 on: 5 July 2016, 19:36:34 »
Well, to be fair, the very last part of this page discusses the 'why not open source' (in bold print):
It is important to note that we do release the scientific modifications back to the open source community, but do not release information which would enable donors to cheat on points, which some donors have done ruining the experience for many others.

So, basically, they are worried about cheating. It's more or less the same issue MegaGlest would need to deal with when it comes to competitive player rankings.

Sadly, their latest release seems to date back to 2013, which means it is probably full of (now) known bugs with security impact. And the fact that the software is closed souirce means only they could provide fixed builds (which they have not, but the software is still being distributed). If someone identifies a network exploitable security hole in this software any client running it could be added to a newly formed botnet.

So please don't get me wrong: I'm totally in favor of science, and think we should all contribute to it where we can. But since science is (or should be) publicly funded (i.e. by the people) already, I personally think that anything they produce should also be returned to the general public (including full source material). Doing this would be a relevant contribution to a more balanced world (where education is accessible to more people, and actual competition is revived - within limits).

This said, I do not and did not mean to discourage anyone using this or similar software (despite for the security aspect maybe, but it's obvious and everyone can just make up their minds on it).
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 6 July 2016, 00:06:43 »
This said, I do not and did not mean to discourage anyone using this or similar software (despite for the security aspect maybe, but it's obvious and everyone can just make up their minds on it).
Heh... I wasn't even thinking of the insecurity of it.  Now I'm doubly convinced. 8)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: 6 July 2016, 01:50:37 »
You guys have an awfully one-sided view of freedom. :| I love open source software, but freedom is a principle, not a buzzword to justify your feelings. Liberty also includes the right to release your program and your code however you see fit.

Undoing the thread hijack...
« Last Edit: 6 July 2016, 07:06:07 by -Archmage- »
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 7 July 2016, 20:44:00 »
You guys have an awfully one-sided view of freedom. :| I love open source software, but freedom is a principle, not a buzzword to justify your feelings.
If you're not basing your feelings on principles, then what are you basing them on?  Emoji dice? :P

Liberty also includes the right to release your program and your code however you see fit.
And it includes the right to use or not use a program, based on how the program is released (or any other reason).

Undoing the thread hijack...
There's a difference between free and open source.  I don't really care that much that the folding software isn't free/libre... well, I do care but it's not the deal-breaker.  I care more that it's not open source, because that means potentially opening up a network connection with unsafe software.  I have no way of knowing what vulnerabilities or spyware are included in it (especially considering how organizations like the NSA have put pressure on software developers to install vulnerabilities), or even knowing that any third party has been able to look into it.

anything