Author Topic: How bad/good am I? (Or could we just say CPU first Thiemo second?)  (Read 692 times)

thiemo

• Swordman
    • View Profile
I'm rather new to MegaGlest - many thanks to all the authors of the game, it's just great - though I have played WarCraft I and II quite a while.

Now, I played the tutorial and tried some scenarios before I set up my own. I started with the eight opponent wheel where I made two parties. All CPU Mega 2.5 apart from me. I placed myself in the centre as Indian the others "equally" spread at the perimeter with random cultures. I invariably was eradicated rather sooner than later. I then placed an opponent in the centre and myself at the outside. In one occasion we won and I survived but just so. I came to the conclusion that the centre (because/despite of the narrow space) is a big disadvantage as the centred opponent vanquished first as well. I began to wonder how bad I am at glesting so I set up a one on one encounter with a CPU Mega 2.5 Indian against my tribe. I did not survive. In the end I was just flooded by enemy units. Now, I play a against a CPU Ultra 1.5 Indian with my tribe and it looks like I am quite in control. My lines are not torn thin (yet). So touch wood.

My strategy changed from stressing technology over quantity of troops to quantity of troops over technology. Background of the initial decision is that I am no way as fast as CPU to control many units. I eventually found out about the pause and game speed button so this disadvantage has much less weight now allowing me to change my strategy.

Initially thought that Ultra/Mega was kind of synonymous to the multiplier, but after searching the forums I came to the conclusion that Easy/Ultra/Mega/(Normal) are a qualifier for the intelligence of the CPU's strategy. I also found the multiplier to be a multiplier of resources and I assume that 1.0 means equal to human players. But now, is the multiplier applied only to the starting resources or is it production speed too? To me, it surely feels as if it affects production speed. But I could not find documentation. Did I miss it?

Should a CPU Mega 2.5 be a piece of cake? Can one only win against in a special setup (I had one 8 opponents setup where one of the CPU Mega 2.5 opponent was just next to me - both Indians where I was able to raid it before it could bring its resource advantage into account)?

Kind regards

Thiemo

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
A mega CPU should kill a beginner very fast! This is for people who already play this game for half a year! start with normal CPU or ... if you still loose with an easy cpu!

If you setup games with megas and you are not an advanced MegaGlest player it will not be much fun to play it.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

thiemo

• Swordman
    • View Profile
Hi titi

Thanks for the answer. I gather it is lack of tactics. I shall tune mine then. I successfully defeated (kind of pleonasm) the CPU ultra 1.5.

Kind regards

Thiemo

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
... I successfully defeated (kind of pleonasm) the CPU ultra 1.5.

Good job!
BTW the CPU fights very different on different maps and with different factions so ... have fun with the game  ;D .
I hope we see you for some coop multiplayer games soon  ;) .
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

andy_5995

• Ornithopter
  • Debian Linux user
    • View Profile
    • Andy Alt's home page
@thiemo, You're always welcome to join my game if you see me online. Have fun!

thiemo

• Swordman
    • View Profile
Thx!

Coop sounds good. How long do those last? How much time would I spend?

andy_5995

• Ornithopter
  • Debian Linux user
    • View Profile
    • Andy Alt's home page
It depends on the set-up. An average game last about 30 minutes. Sometimes 50 minutes, rarely more than that.

Games that are played on smaller maps take less time.

You can actually see game times by going to http://play.mg
It shows recent games that were played, games that are waiting for players, and games that are currently in progress.

thiemo

• Swordman
    • View Profile
Oh, that's great!  ;D I should be able to get 30 - 50 minutes free from my family :angel: