Poll

How many CPU cores do you have in your computer?

2 (18.2%)
7 (63.6%)
0 (0%)
2 (18.2%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: 5 November 2008, 11:59:07

Author Topic: How many CPU cores do you have in your computer?  (Read 2726 times)

daniel.santos

How many CPU cores do you have in your computer?
« on: 5 November 2008, 11:59:07 »
I'm just curious, of the user community who reads this message boards, how many have a dual core processor or better?  I've found a few ways to possibly squeeze better performance out of GAE by doing multi-threaded interpolation and I thought I would check to see what you peeps are using out there. :)  There are many parts of graphics rendering that you don't really want to try to background render because you end up at the same bottleneck (talking to the GPU), but we do a lot of interpolation on the APU, so I'm looking into this.

PS: Yea, believe it or not, there are actually 3 core processors (I know AMD has some 3 core phenoms), I guess those are the ones where one of the cores failed QA tests, and they were just able to disable that core and sell it cheaper.

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
Re: How many CPU cores do you have in your computer?
« Reply #1 on: 5 November 2008, 12:15:22 »
I have an intel core2duo. I find that Glest (and most games) don't tax my CPU. Its the GPU which controls the game speed by how fast it can render stuff.
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

daniel.santos

« Reply #2 on: 5 November 2008, 12:17:53 »
Quote from: "wciow"
I have an intel core2duo. I find that Glest (and most games) don't tax my CPU. Its the GPU which controls the game speed by how fast it can render stuff.
A common myth!  But there are some bottle necks on the CPU that can be addressed on dual+ core systems.  Plus, I can force the CPU to do work on one core while the other core (or thread) is forcing the GPU to do work and save a lot of time that way as well.  In fact, now that I think of it, this should even help on single core systems because of I/O wait while transfering data to and from the GPU.... hmmm..

@kukac@

« Reply #3 on: 5 November 2008, 14:50:31 »
Hmm, I bought this computer in 2003. So the answer is simple, it's one  :O

modman

« Reply #4 on: 6 November 2008, 05:25:12 »
Does that mean that, depending on your computer, the game may play differently?  If so, how?  Is it just the AI that is effected maybe?

daniel.santos

« Reply #5 on: 6 November 2008, 13:13:56 »
Quote from: "modman"
Does that mean that, depending on your computer, the game may play differently?
Gameplay will be EXACTLY the same.  One should NEVER change gameplay based upon hardware!!!!

This will purely effect framerate.

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 6 November 2008, 13:29:47 »
One should NEVER change gameplay based upon hardware!!!!
Unless it's from a PC to a console or handheld  :P
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

daniel.santos

« Reply #7 on: 6 November 2008, 13:30:35 »
lol! yea, yea! Get pick on me will ya! :)

anything