Author Topic: GAE 0.2.10a  (Read 1518 times)

daniel.santos

GAE 0.2.10a
« on: 21 November 2008, 01:13:44 »
I released 0.2.10a last night, but upon further testing with multiplayer, I encountered a different crash, so there appears to still be instability in multiplayer.  I did fix quite a few bugs, I'll list all of the details later, but I wanted to post a heads up on it.  It would appear that units are sometimes not being removed from cells (on the client) and when they later die and are deleted that it leads to a crash when an old pointer to them is found and (due to a unit coming near that cell) and an attempt to access it's members is made (boom).

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
Re: GAE 0.2.10a
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2008, 10:56:12 »
Nice a new version!
What to do now? Should we test the new version or do you want to fix some more bugs first?
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2008, 00:37:39 »
OK, we tested it now.
Multiplayer starts much more synchronous on client and server now ( same treesetup , units walk the same ways in server and client.  and so on ).
We had no crash this time.

And now for the problems:

Multiplayer:
- from what we have seen, some commands from the server are not executed ( or executed too late? we don't know exactly. ) this causes out of sync problems after a while which results in jumping units on the client( jumping when getting updates from the server.)
- sometimes the units cannot be hit(on the client), but this might be a problem with out of sync like described above.

Others ( but all when playing multiplayer ):
- archer shots look a bit strange now. The particels start a bit horizontally and then suddenly go up.
-  you cannot set the meeting point any more
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

daniel.santos

« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2008, 23:30:45 »
Sorry I hadn't posted in a while, I'll be busy until next week on other things.  I did however work with GAE some, fixed a problem or two and also added a hack (well, "countermeasures") for the type of crash that I got while playing a test game.  Again, I'm not 100% certain of the cause of the crash, but I know how it worked, there was basically a unit in a cell (in the map) that died and was eventually deleted, but never removed from a cell in the map -- that isn't supposed to happen.  I've added some extra code to make sure that dead units get removed from every cell in the map before they are deleted to prevent that type of crash.

Thanks for testing titi.  I've seen problems on the client where commands don't appear to be executed, but it's because it happened to get an update right after I gave it the command and the update didn't have that command in it (because it came while I was giving the command).  The units on the client that experienced this all seem to fix themselves.  However, I believe that I've seen behaviour similar to what you described on the server, I'll see if I can figure out the cause.  Also, I believe the meeting point problem is fixed.  I wasn't really intending on asking for testing for 0.2.10a because of problems that I ran into, but I would definitely like to get some testing on 0.2.10b please! :)

Thanks!

anything