Author Topic: Climbing (walls + cliffs)  (Read 1870 times)

Idanwin

Climbing (walls + cliffs)
« on: 19 February 2009, 14:42:45 »
I think when there are walls and cliffs, some units should be able to climb on them.
(Idea occured to me when I saw the spiders, they can walk on walls and even upsidedown.
Not like flying units, these would not climb over everything, just walls and cliffs (buildings would be too difficult and trees would be too small).

modman

Re: Climbing (walls + cliffs)
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2009, 02:35:11 »
OK maybe this is a skill only some units can use; and there could be an initiating animation (with the possibility for a particle system) and a initiating sound, and a animation for while the unit is climbing (possibility of particle system), and an animation for when the unit finishes climbing (boolean for this; it shouldn't be manditory).

There could also be a possibility of the unit being rotated somehow during the climbing action (as if the guy had suction cups on his feet and were walking UP the wall/cliff).

daniel.santos

Re: Climbing (walls + cliffs)
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2009, 23:37:00 »
Sounds like it has merit, but I think it's already covered (at least everything that's been mentioned in this thread).  What isn't covered is apparent the need to be able to specify rather a unit's model rotates with the ground's slope or not.  It wouldn't make sense for two-legged humans to lean to one side when standing on a hill, but it would for a 4-wheeled catapult or an 8 legged spider!

So back to your idea, I think this will actually be covered (up to 90 degrees) with the min/max incline functionality I've proposed for 0.3.  I have also proposed multiple move skills, primarily to manage swimming.  However, it can also be used to specify a different move skills that apply to different inclines/declines and you can add your suction-cup sounds there.  All of this is planned for 0.3 already.

anything