Author Topic: Create separate tarballs for source code and data  (Read 951 times)

RedDwarf

Create separate tarballs for source code and data
« on: 18 February 2011, 14:20:50 »
Would it be possible to split glestae-src-0.3.2.tar.bz2 into glestae-0.3.2.tar.bz2 and glestae-data-0.3.2.tar.bz2?

As a Linux packager this would help me (and I must thank you for all the improvements over megaglest you already implemented to make it more Linux-friendly). The thing is the binary can be rebuilt "frequently" (new libpng with soname change or whatever), and I don't want to force users to redownload all the data every time the binary changes.
I can already do that with the current tarball, I just need a little cmake patch. But that patch can be broken easily and would be better to have different tarballs.

No need to do that for 0.3.2. But I would appreciate it in the next release.
Thanks.

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
Re: Create separate tarballs for source code and data
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2011, 02:04:17 »
This is something I had already thought about, but haven't bothered with as yet, because there have been (small) data changes in just about every recent release.

Ultimately I think it would be best to move all the data into a git-submodule, then it could be easily packaged seperately, and would make total-conversions much simpler for people to prepare as well.

Hopefully we might get this done before 0.4.

Cheers.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

anything